Holy Qurbana at a Glance
I. PRECOMMUNION SERVICE – (30 years of our LORD’s Life)
Sanctuary remains veiled – The period before the Incarnation of Christ.
- Prefatory Prayers – Morning Prayers (Namasakaram)
- Entrance into Chancel
Sanctuary unveiled Celebrant enters – South side – Sanctuary veiled.
Shubkono1, Washing of hands1
- Thuyobo – Preparatory Rites – Celebrant
Service of Melchizedek – Arranges bread and wine
Service of Aaron – Vesting by the celebrant
- Old Testament Readings
- Final Hymns before Holy Qurbana
II. Communion Service (3½ years of our lord’s life)
Pre–Anaphora (Liturgy of the Word). We remember the Birth, Baptism, Teaching and Healing Ministry of Christ.
First unveiling of the Sanctuary – Incarnation of the Promised Messiah Christ.
- Procession of the Incarnate Word
- Trisagion (Adoration to Christ)
- New Testament Readings: North (Acts or Catholic Epistle) / South (Pauline Epistles)
- 1st Slomo
- Reading from the Holy Gospel by the Chief Celebrant
- 2nd Slomo
- Sermon (can be postponed for the convenience sake, till Kukkillion)
- Prelude to the ministries of the Holy Sacrament
- Prayers of Promeon, Hussoyo and Sedro.
- Blessing of the censor – Adoration of the Holy Trinity
Nicene Creed, Incensing – Shubkono2, Washing of hands2
- Intercessory Prayers, at the foot of the altar, by the Chief Celebrant.
Anaphora of the Faithful
Stage I Act I – We remember opening of Heaven and God’s Presence.
- Priests ascends the Altar step
- 3rd Slomo
- Kiss of peace
- First Inclination
- Celebration of Soshappa
First Benediction (Apostolic)
Stage I Act II
- Sarsum Corda – Lift Ye Up
- Institution of Holy Qurbana
- Anamnesis – Sacrificial Memorial
- Epiclesis – Invocation of the Holy Spirit
- Consecration – Consecrating the Bread and Wine
Stage I Act III
- The Great Intercession – Thubden / Diptychs
- 4th Slomo
- Second Benediction (In the Name of Christ)
- First veiling of the Sanctuary – Crucifixion of Christ.
Stage II ACT I – We remember Passion, Death and Resurrection of Christ
- Fraction, Consignation, Commixture by Chief Celebrant
- Catholic Hymn / Catholic Litany
Stage II ACT II – We remember Ascension of our Lord
- Second Unveiling of Sanctuary – Appearance of Christ to His disciples after Resurrection
- Lord’s Prayer
- 5th Slomo
- Second Inclination
- 6th Slomo
- Third Benediction (In the name of the Holy Trinity)
- Elevation of Holy Mysteries – Ascension of our Lord
Stage II ACT III – Intercessory Prayers
- Kukkillion – Communion of Mother of God, Patron Saints and other Saints. Commemoration of the Departed – Clergy, Faithful Believers.
- Second Veiling of the Sanctuary – Christ’s hidden to our bodily eyes after Ascension
- Communion of the Holy Mysteries
- Third Unveiling of the Sanctuary – Opening of Heaven / Second Coming of Christ.
- Procession of Holy Mysteries – Second Coming of our Lord.
STAGE II ACT IV
- Final Thanksgiving
- 7th Slomo
- Third Inclination
- Final Veiling of Sanctuary – End of the public part of the service.
III. POST COMMUNION SERVICE
- Closing Prayers
- The Celebrant consumes the Sacred Elements
- Cleans the Holy Vessels, Washing of hands3
- Bids farewell to Altar
- Kaimuth and Free Will Offering